• Selected Topic
FAQ Categories:

If my horse is colicing when should I call my veterinarian?

If your horse is presenting signs of colic you should call your vet if

  • Heart rate is more than 60 beats per minute
  • Feed material is coming from the nostrils (EMERGENCY!)
  • You have to walk your horse to keep if from going down and rolling for more than 15-20 minutes in a one hour period.
  • Sweating
  • Gums are anything other than pink and moist
  • Your horse hasn't been "right " for more than 24 hours ( not pasisng normal amount of manure, not eating or drinking normally, or unusally quiet or depressed)

Learn the Signs Of Colic

How accurate is Coggins testing? View Details
Does Coggins testing prevent EIA? View Details
What does Coggins testing diagnose? View Details
Can I give my horse injectable Banamine by mouth? View Details
How do I know if my horse is colicing? View Details
Can I give my horse beer to help it sweat? View Details
What is causing my horse to constantly drool and is it dangerous? View Details
Why can horses sleep standing up? View Details
Can't find an answer to your question?
Please feel free to submit a question.

Information contained within this website is provided purely for educational purposes. Mid-Rivers Equine Centre assumes no responsibility for any problems associated with content, the reading of content or use of information contained within this web site.