SHAREcare™ is Mid-Rivers Equine Centre’s Exclusive Well Care Program Keeping Horses Healthy for Life
SHAREcare™ is our way of standing behind the belief that we can deliver valued and meaningful care to our patients with a comprehensive Well Care program.
Good management is the key and is critical to horses and their long-term health. Understanding how to make safe diet changes in roughage is crucial to ensuring their digestion is not interrupted. Any feed changes that slow transit time of food through the cecum and colon can result in an impaction and some impactions cannot be managed without surgery.
Good dental care encourages good efficient “chewing” which allows smooth and easy digestion. A good parasite control program ensures your horse is not a high shedder or is carrying resistant parasites. Many of the parasites that affect a horse can cause damage to the intestinal tract. This damage alters digestion and can lead to colic. Also, a well-designed vaccination program is extremely important in helping your horse avoid diseases that can be devastating but are preventable.
Good management involves detailed discussions between our clients and our veterinarians and these discussions are crucial to identifying and eliminating risk factors. Closely working with our clients is the reason this program is effective and is the reason SHAREcare™ is offered to clients who reside within our normal ambulatory travel distance. Unfortunately, we simply can’t ensure successful management without being on-site and involved with decisions on how your horses are most effectively managed.
Despite our best efforts and good management, there are some anatomical issues with the “gut” of horses that can result in a colic that is unavoidable and, in those cases, surgery is our only option. A typical colic surgery today will very likely involve an 8-day hospital stay and a total bill could be in excess of $8,500.
By enrolling in SHAREcare™ an eligible horse’s total cost of a colic surgery (see requirements below for an eligible horse) will be split 50/50 up to $8000 between the owner and Mid-Rivers Equine Centre. We believe so strongly in our ability to help you avoid this financially draining surgery that we are willing to SHAREcare™ the cost.
Who is Eligible for Open Enrollment?
Horses who are already Well Care patients are eligible for open enrollment and could be immediately vested 100%. A current Well Care patient is defined as a horse that:
- Has been seen for routine care by a Mid-Rivers Equine veterinarian on the farm twice in the previous year.
- A Mid-Rivers Equine veterinarian has vaccinated your horse within the last 12 months.
- A Mid-Rivers Equine veterinarian has been involved with designing your parasite control program. (Horse owners can very effectively de-worm their horses however the timing of deworming, monitoring effectiveness of the de-worming and product selection are all critically important components of the discussions that must take place each and every year.)
- Finally, your Mid-Rivers Equine primary care veterinarian will review the application for approval. Some pre-existing conditions will make a horse ineligible. Please see our list of yearly requirements and exclusions below.
How Does a Horse Become Eligible?
If your horse is not currently a Well Care patient and you live within our practice area, there is a one year waiting period before your horse will qualify for coverage. The waiting period applies to any new horse a client purchases, even if their other horses are currently participating in the program. Our veterinarians will use the waiting period to align each individual horse’s healthcare and assist with your equine Well Care management program. Patients wishing to enroll may do so at the end of the one-year qualifying period.
Added Value of Enrolling in SHAREcare™
How could this benefit a horse who has insurance? Mid-Rivers Equine will still split the total cost 50/50 up to $8000, effectively increasing your maximum medical benefit. For example: Your horse requiring colic surgery has $10,000 a year in medical/surgical coverage, a $10,000 colic surgery on a horse not enrolled in SHAREcare™ has $0.00 left in medical insurance benefits after surgery. The same horse enrolled in SHAREcare™ would have $5,000 left in medical benefits because half the cost has been shared by Mid-Rivers Equine.
Yearly Requirements for Enrollment
- Two farm calls per year, Spring and Fall.
- Yearly vaccination administered by a Mid-Rivers Equine veterinarian (the core-vaccine is the minimum vaccination requirement).
- A Mid-Rivers Equine veterinarian does an oral exam yearly and performs a dental float if needed.
- Two Well Care check-ups per year (Spring and Fall).
- A Mid-Rivers Equine veterinarian discusses your yearly de-worming program and utilizes fecal egg count(s) as needed to establish good parasite control.
- Your Mid-Rivers Equine primary care veterinarian must approve the application for each patient (pre-existing conditions may affect eligibility).
Client/Farm Requirements for Enrollment
- The client must live within our practice radius.
- The client must keep a credit card on file as a “monthly client”.
- A yearly SHAREcare™ enrollment fee of $39.50 per horse.
- A body condition score that is less than 4 or greater than 7.
- Horses less than 18 months old.
- Previous history of renal or liver disease.
- Laminitis with coffin bone rotation.
- Previous colic surgeries (Exception: if a patient has surgery but no episodes of colic occur in the 12 months post-surgery, they could be eligible the following year).
- Two or more colic surgeries is a permanent exclusion.