Breeding Services for Stallions
At Mid-Rivers we understand that the health of the Stallion is just as important the potential mare. To ensure that your stud is healthy and ready for breeding we offer several stallion breeding services:
- Stallion Breeding Soundness Exams: Examination of the stallion’s libido, history, genitalia, and semen to determine their soundness for breeding and ensure no abnormalities.
- General Health Exams: Determining the overall health of the stallion and its history, looking at hair and skin quality, genetic conditions, foot and leg conformations, and eyes, among other conditions.
- Semen Collection & Sperm Cell Longevity Testing: Evaluating the motility, morphology, concentration, volume, and appearance of the stallions sperm helps ensure its health and longevity. These tests can usually be done on the farm.
- Investigate Infertility Problems: An examination of the stallion to determine the cause of infertility and how to correct it, like any barriers to the stallions performance or infection.
- Determining Daily Semen Output (DSO): The stallions DSO is calculated via measuring testicular volume using calipers or ultrasonography.
- Preparation and Transfer for Fresh Cooled Semen: The correct prepping and transfer of semen from hospital to hospital helps ensure the success of breeding. That means taking a good sample, appropriately diluting out seminal plasma with an extender, and insulated storage for travel.
- Stallion Breeding Training: Training the stallion to be gentle and social with other horses, respect their handler, how to use a dummy mount, and how to act in the breeding shed.