Mid-Rivers Equine Centre is based on the belief that surgical intervention serves many vital roles in the health of our patients. Since our founding in 1987, it has been our deepest conviction that the St. Louis area needed a well-equipped and skillfully trained equine surgical staff available to horses on a 24/7 basis. We have spent over three decades building just such a team and equine hospital.
Our fully equipped surgery suite is wholly prepared for surgeries, be it advanced, elective, or emergency.
Because of the many surgeries we regularly perform at Mid-Rivers Equine Centre, we are no strangers to handling a wide variety of equine medical conditions. Our staff of experienced veterinarians has over 25 years of experience and 40 hours of required continuing education each year. That way, you can rest assured that our staff is experienced and professional and educated with the latest advancements in the equine medical fields.
Advanced Surgical & Diagnostic Equipment
Mid-Rivers Equine Centre has a vast arsenal of diagnostic equipment at the hospital to investigate a horse’s injury or illness. With the explosion of technology, diagnostic equipment has become very sophisticated ensuring a quicker, more precise diagnosis. Mid-Rivers is dedicated to bringing you the latest in diagnostics to help ensure the health an
d well being of your horse:
- Digital Radiology
- Video Endoscopy
Our advanced surgical and diagnostic equipment helps ensure that your horse gets the best treatment possible.
Types Of Procedures Performed
We can perform the following procedures here at Mid-Rivers Equine Centre:
- Abdominal Surgery: Colic Surgeries, Exploratory Celiotomies, Ovariectomies
- Airway Problems
- Arthroscopic Surgery
- Castrations: Routine Castrations, Cryptorchid Castrations
- Cribbing Surgery
- Dental Surgery: Teeth Extractions, Standing Fractured Teeth Repulsion, Under Anesthesia Fractured Jaws, Wired
- Head & Neck Procedures: Guttural Pouch Problems, Sinus Trephination and Exploration, and Dental Procedures
- Laser Procedures: Uterine Cyst Ablation, Trans-Endoscopic Pharyngeal Procedures,
- Limb Surgery: Splint Removals, Arthroscopic Joint Procedures, Street-nail Procedure for Penetrating Wounds to Hoof, Neurectomies, Traumatic Injuries, Heel Bulb Lacerations & Casting, Skin Grafting, See Tendon & Ligament Procedures
- Neonatal Surgery: Umbilical Cord Removal, Neonatal Hernias, Umbilical and Inguinal Hernia Repairs, Ruptured Bladder Repair, Periosteal Stripping, Crooked Legs
- Ophthalmic Surgery: Ulcer Medication Pump Installation, Enucleation (Eye Removal) and Prosthesis, Third Eyelid Resection
- Orthopedic Surgery: Arthroscopy, Splint Removal, Sequestrum Removal Procedures, (Non Healing Wounds)
- Tendon & Ligaments: Tendon Splitting, Internal Blistering, Stem Cell Injections (Bone Marrow Donor), Inferior and Superior Check Ligament Transections
Caring For You & Your Horse
The health and safety of your horse before, during, and after surgery is our top priority. We provide stock for surgery so your horse is not injured as they are laid down or anesthetized for surgery. During surgery, we understand that you may be nervous or want to be with your horse. We care about and respect your relationship. That’s why we provide a viewing window where you can watch the surgery so you can be with your horse every step of the way. When your horse is out of surgery, they will be transferred to a fully padded, closed-circuit monitored recovery room where staff keeps watch to ensure your horse safely wakes and stands after surgery. We will keep you updated as to their condition and provide you with the information you need for post-surgery care.
Fully Prepared For Emergencies
At Mid-Rivers Equine Centre, we are fully prepared for emergency surgeries 24/7. If your horse is experiencing an emergency, do not hesitate to call us day or night.