Equine sports medicine is dedicated to the horse athlete. Whether that athlete is jumping fences, sliding to a stop, loping down the rail, turning barrels or spending a full day out on the trail, injuries happen, and let’s face it, bodies break down over time. We specialize in sports medicine so the athlete can be at their best during competitions. In the unfortunate circumstance of having an injury, the Mid-Rivers Equine Centre offers a wide variety of sports medicine therapies that will ensure the health of your horse and help them back to soundness, after any injury.
Procedures & Therapies Offered
Mid-Rivers Equine Centre understands what is needed to keep a horse at peak performance. We continually bring new techniques and technologies to our clinic to improve healing for horses with sport injuries. We have the advanced diagnostic tools to accurately diagnose injuries and prescribe therapies so your horse can be restored to their top form and function after an injury or illness:
- IRAP (interleukin-1 receptor antagonist protein) therapy blocks inflammation in injuries to promote healing.
- Joint injections help “block” pain from a joint or deliver medications directly into the joint.
- Laser therapy is used to treat tendon injuries in horses by delivering a dose of laser light. This treatment can be affected by the horse’s skin and hair color and thickness, so talk to your veterinarian about which laser therapy treatment is best for your horse.
- Pain management offers various ways to manage your horse’s pain from NSAIDS, opioids, α-2 agonists, and ketamine.
- PRP (platelet-rich plasma) therapy delivers blood plasma and platelets to a wound to help it heal.
- Radiography, or x-rays, help diagnose conditions such as lameness by radiographing the horse’s foot or other systems, allowing the veterinarian to diagnose any abnormalities.
- Shockwave therapy uses powerful sound waves to promote the growth of bone cells and increase circulation to promote rapid healing after an injury.
- Stem cell therapy takes stem cells and injects them into an injury to aid in healing, and can also help reduce inflammation.
- Ultrasounds help diagnose tendon, ligament, or other deep tissue ailments in horses. Visualizing the injury can assist in treatment and help us track the stages of healing.
Our experienced staff of over 20 years is available to diagnose and treat your horse to get them back into top form. If your horse is experiencing lameness, pain, or a change in behavior call your veterinarian. Our emergency line is available 24/7.