It is important to recognize the signs and symptoms of horse colic. In some cases, the symptoms are mild and barely noticeable but can become violent if the case is more severe. These symptoms include:
- Mood shifts
- Excessive pawing at the ground
- Sensitivity in the abdomen
- Abnormal sweatiness
- Restlessness, constant standing up and lying down
- Biting or kicking at the stomach
- Turning and looking at their side or abdomen
- Standing as if to urinate
- Excessive stretching
The severity of the symptoms is a good way to track the seriousness of the case. Be aware some horses are deceptively quiet when colicking. If your horse is exhibiting symptoms of colic, severe or mild, contact your vet immediately.
Mid-Rivers Equine Centre is available 24/7 for emergency colic surgery. If your horse is exhibiting colic symptoms or you have any questions or concerns, please contact us at (636) 332-5373.